Book Interior Set-up
- What are my size and page restrictions?
- How many files to submit?
- How do I determine page count?
- What is Trim Size?
- I'm using a Word Processing program, what should I know when I set-up my book?
- I'm using a design program (such as Adobe Indesign), what do I need to know?
- What margins and tabs should I use?
- What fonts and font size do you recommend?
- What line spacing do you recommend?
- What do I include in my Front Matter?
- What do I include in my Core Matter?
- What do I include in my Back Matter?
- How should I include Page numbers?
Titles on Demand can print perfect bound trade paperbacks from manuscripts that have a minimum page count of 40 and maximum of 500. All interior book pages, both printed and blank, are included in the above calculation. Your finished book has a minimum trim size of 4.5" x 4.5" and a maximum size of 8.25" x 10.5" with the most common size being 6" x 9". We cannot take books that are 8.5" x 11" and shrink them down. Files must be properly formatted before submission.
You will only submit two files - the interior file and the cover file. The interior book block should be submitted in one pdf with all your sections arranged in the order you would like it (Cover page, Table of Contents, Front Matter, Core Matter, Back Matter, etc.) The book block can only be printed in black and white in house. If you would like to have colour, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
One page is one book page or PDF page, NOT one sheet of paper. (There are two pages on one sheet of paper, one on the front and one on the back). You page count will be total number of pages in your document. Once your book is in pdf form, you can easily see your final page count. Note that printed page counts will always be an even number. For example, if your book is 15 pages, you will have 8 sheets of paper - 15 printed sides and one blank.
The trim size is the final size of your book. We measure trim size in inches in width x height of the book. The most common size is 6" x 9" and 5" x 8". Please note that if your book is more than 200 pages, the maximum trim size for the book is 7.5" x 10.5".
This is the most important step of setting up your document. Before you even type a word in your document or convert it to pdf, you MUST set the page dimensions in the program to the trim size you would like. If your book is 6" x 9", go to your page set-up in your program to change all pages in your document to 6"x9". If you forget to do this, you will need to reformat your whole document later.
The same advice on setting up your document applies. Ensure that your page size is the correct trim size.
We recommend having an all around margin of 0.8" (top, bottom, left, right). We recommend setting tabs to 0.25".
We recommend universal fonts such as Garamond, Palatino, Times New Roman, Century. We recommend using size 10 pt font for the body and 12 pt Bold for headers.
We recommend a line spacing of 1.15" to 1.5".
Things you can include: Title Page, other works by author, dedication, acknowledgements, foreword, preface, introduction, table of contents, copyright page, promotional blurbs,etc.
This would include all of your chapters and material.
Things you can include: afterword, notes, bibliography, resources, recommneded reading, glossary, index, about the author, other publications, etc.
We recommend page numbers be centered on the document so you won't run into a case that they will run into the spine. If you would like the page numbers to be staggered, please note that all odd pages will be on the right of the book and all even pages will be on the left of the book. (See the page count section to determine whether the page is an even number or odd number.)
- Do NOT center things "by eye" by using the Tab or Spacebar. Use the centering tool in your application.
- If you are finished typing one page and wish to start the second, use PAGE BREAKS. (Shift + Enter in Microsoft Word, Control + Enter, Command + Enter on a Macintosh.)
- Do not use two spaces between sentences.
- Do not italicize AND underline a word for to create emphasis.
Once you are ready to submit your files, please contact us at email@example.com to book an appointment.
If you you require assistance preparing your files we offer "a la carte" production services to help you get your manuscript ready for press.
Contact us via email or phone, 905-525-4120 ext. 20326 for details.