Student Charge Accounts
Your Student Card Acts as a Low Interest Credit Card at the Campus Store
The last day to charge on Undergrad Student Charge Accounts is March 31, 2013. Payment is due by April 15, 2013. Student Charge Accounts may be paid at the Campus store (cash or debit only or students can drop a cheque in the cashier's office drop box at any time day or night).
Please note your account must be cleared in order to register for summer school. You can find your account balance by logging into MUGSI.
Frequently Asked Questions About Student Charge Accounts
- How do I get a student charge account?
- What can I put on my student charge account?
- How can I check my account balance?
- How do I pay my student account off?
- What forms of payment do you accept?
- Can I get a cash advance on my student charge account?
- I have a credit on my student charge account. Can I use it in the store?
- What is my credit limit?
- How much interest is charged?
- Can I lend my Student Card to a friend or family member to buy my school supplies for me?
- Can I get a copy of my account transactions?
- If I filled out the form last year will I have to do it again?
1. How do I get a student charge account?
To open a student charge account you must fill out the Credit Application and Agreement (found at any check out). You will also need a current McMaster Student I.D. card and one other piece of photo I.D.
Purchases may be charged only on production of a validated I.D. card or temporary McMaster identification card after Credit Application and Agreement has been signed.
2. What can I put on my student charge account?
You can purchase anything in the store on your charge account but remember that a student charge account is credit, just like a loan or credit card and will have to be paid back before you receive your marks or register for the next semester.
Amounts of less than $5.00 may not be charged.
3. How can I check my account balance?
Account balance can be checked on MUGSI. We encourage you to check your account regularly. No statements are mailed to you.
4. How do I pay my student account off?
First you must log onto MUGSI to get your account balance. You can then pay off your student charge account at any check out in any Campus Store location, or at the Student Financial Office in Gilmour Hall Room 209.
Payment is acknowledged as of the date the university receives payment, not by the date it was sent. Accounts must be paid off in full by the end of the academic session.
By regulation of the Board of Governors, the University may withhold transcripts, certificates and diplomas until a student's fees, Campus Store account, as well as other accounts owed to the University are paid in full. Students withdrawing from the University are required to settle their accounts before leaving.
5. What forms of payment do you accept?
Acceptable payment forms are cash or debit card only. Sorry you can’t use a credit card to pay off a student change account. Using credit to pay credit is not permissible.
6. Can I get a cash advance on my student charge account?
7. I have a credit on my student charge account. Can I use it in the store?
Yes you may.
8. What is my credit limit?
Credit may be accrued to an amount not in excess of $1500 at any time. Credit may be suspended when this point is reached until the balance is reduced.
9. How much interest is charged?
Interest is charged each month on unpaid balances. The current interest rate is: 1.2 % / month (14.4% compounded annually). A full month's interest is calculated on any unpaid balance on the last day of each month, starting in September.
10. Can I lend my Student Card to a friend or family member to buy my school supplies for me?
No. Only the person whose name and picture appears on the card is authorized to use the card and is responsible for all use made of the I.D. Card until written notice is received by the bookstore of its loss or theft.
11. Can I get a copy of my account transactions?
Yes, however there is a $5 fee to look up EACH transaction. In order to look up a transaction, you must know the EXACT amount of the transaction, and the date of the transaction. It takes 24 hours (longer during Rush periods) to look up a transaction.
12. If I filled out the form last year will I have to do it again?
Yes, a new form must be filled out every time your registration sticker is updated.